Program Code: M228
Campus: Ace Acumen Campuses – Mississauga
Office administrators in the health services field are vital members of the healthcare team, often the first person to interact with clients in a physician’s office. Graduates are able to work within and manage any health services office with the required comprehensive knowledge and specialized skills. Accuracy and confidentiality are paramount and students should have excellent critical thinking skills, be organized and know how to prioritize. Students must have solid interpersonal skills and work effectively in a multicultural environment. Good communication skills, both written and oral, and excellent keyboarding skills, are assets.
• Training includes client care, appointment scheduling, manual and electronic charting, transcription of a wide range of medical data and reports and communication techniques.
• Strict emphasis is placed on confidentiality following PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act) guidelines.
• Graduates have an understanding of healthcare billing through MOHLTC (Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care-OHIP), along with third-party and private billing with a hands-on approach in an electronic healthcare software setting.
• Work Placement in the final semester in a variety of private and government-funded medical clinics, general and specialized healthcare offices, hospitals or alternative healthcare facilities.
• Advanced computer software including EMR (electronic medical records) training.
Opportunities in the healthcare field are diverse and include physicians’ offices, hospitals, laboratories, medical clinics, nursing homes, health insurance offices, public health offices, and alternative health therapy offices.
Some of our employers who provide our placement settings require a clear POLICE RECORD CHECK for criminal offences with vulnerable sector screening before accepting a student into the clinical setting. The record check MUST be obtained by the student and at the student’s expense. If you are unable to obtain this police clearance please discuss this with the coordinator to ensure that proper arrangements can be made in advance for your placement. Some of our employers who provide our placement settings also require up to date immunizations and a proof of a negative Two-Step TB Skin Test. Should you be unable to acquire these, please discuss the matter in advance with the coordinator.
Successful completion of the Office Administration – General with a GPA of 2.0 or better.
For International Students the English proficiency requirement is IELTS 6.0 with no band lower than 5.5, or PTE (Pearson Test of English) Level 54, or TOEFL paper-based test (PBT) score of 550, or internet-based test (iBT) score of 78, or computer-based test (CBT) score of 213, Duolingo score of 100.
|OAG101||INTRODUCTION TO KEYBOARDING||1|
|OAG160||ESSENTIAL BUSINESS CALCULATIONS||3|
|OAG113||INTRODUCTION TO WORD PROCESSING & BUSINESS DOCUMENTS||3|
|ELEC1030||CHOOSE 1 ELECTIVE COURSE||3|
|OAG117||INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY||2|
|OAG201||ACCOUNTING FOR THE OFFICE ASSISTANT||3|
|OAG210||BUSINESS FOR THE OFFICE ASSISTANT||3|
|COM103||BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS I||3|
|OAG222||ADVANCED WORD PROCESSING AND DOCUMENTS||3|
|OAG217||KEYBOARDING AND TRANSCRIPTION||3|
|OAG260||ELECTRONIC SPREADSHEETS AND DATABASES||3|
|OAH306||HEALTH SERVICES ADMINISTRATIVE DOCUMENTS & PROCEDURES||4|
|OAH307||ELECTRONIC MEDICAL RECORDS & BILLING||3|
|OAH302||HEALTH SERVICES OFFICE MANAGEMENT||4|
|OAH303||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY I||3|
|OAH308||MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION I||4|
|OAH305||SOCIAL RELATIONS ETHICS AND LEGISLATION IN THE HEALTH SERVICE OFFICE||3|